As I Get Older, I Know How to Work a Scarf

Three Easy Ways on How to Wear a Scarf in 2020
This is How To Wear a Scarf in 2020. It Doesn't Matter How Old You Are, You Can Do It. It's Great.

This is one of those posts that has nothing profound to offer, except my personal opinion on how one should wear a scarf in 2019/20. Feel completely free to ignore this guidance as really it is all about personal preference. But I do have a good instinct about trends, and this is one that people of all ages can really wear well, without compromise, and that gives us older folks an opportunity to look fresh and relevant. I will leave it up to you.

First of all let me start with one 'don't'. The one scarf-wearing style that is guaranteed to plop you firmly into the 1990s (and not in a cool, young, retro way), is to wear a scarf in a loop, with one end pulled through. If you take no other advice from this post, this is it. Choose any other style that you fancy, except this one. Ok? Cool.

Animal Print Scarf. Always in Style.
I've Been Wearing This Animal Print Scarf For a DECADE! It Never Goes Out of Style.

So I have three key scarf 'looks' that I think are the bomb. The first is the most accessible. Animal Print. Find a gorgeous animal print scarf and use it to jazz up a plain shirt or suit. It's what I like to call a modern 'neutral'. It is really timeless and will lend immediate style-cache to any outfit. I have been wearing this favourite one of mine literally for the past decade (also known as three hairstyles), have used it to enliven a plain black outfit on more occasions than Trump has lied (which means A LOT) and have never had to worry about it being on-trend. It's a wardrobe keeper for now and forever.

Large Tartan Knit Scarf from Zara. Fancy Blanket. Christopher Evans.
I Adore My 'Fancy Blanket' Scarf From Zara. So Stylish and So Practical. (With Christopher)

Secondly, I believe in the 'fancy blanket' scarf. I got mine from Zara about four winters ago and it has changed my life. I carry it in my (massive) tote bag every day, just in case I get cold. I can use it in the office as a lap-blanket when the air con is too cold. I can wrap it around my shoulders in the evenings if it gets a bit frosty unexpectedly. And most of all I can wear it as a giant neck scarf when I am so inclined. It is stylish, a statement, and very, very practical. So much so, that this year I bought another one in orange tartan. Ten out of ten would recommend - Zara tends to have new ones at the start of each winter. Order online!

Robyn Cooke in a Neckerchief. How to Wear a Scarf in 2020.
Me and My Favourite Neckerchief.
To Be Fair I was Dressed As Tweedledum Here. But Scarf Still Stands.

And finally - and this is the most exciting one - this summer, let us all embrace the neckerchief trend. The youngsters are no longer wearing draping, cotton scarves. Oh no. This summer is the summer of the silk neckerchief. I have a few I stole from my granny that I haven't worn in years. Or I have used them as an accessory, tied to my handbag. Now I have purchased a couple of new ones to add to my collection. It's a very polished trend. Someone said to me when I had one on the other day, that I could be wearing a hessian sack, but with the neckerchief, I look like I had just arrived from Paris. It's the most unexpected thing - your usual, boring trousers and shirt you have worn a hundred times - add a silk neckerchief and BAM! You have a whole new look. And it's so inexpensive to look bloody great too.

Neckerchiefs are a little tricky to wear. So let me give you some basic guidance. Start by folding the square in half, into a triangle, then roll from the pointed end, up to the wide-side. Pop around your neck, and tie in a knot, with a bit of a gap between it and your neck (so not on the neck like an air-steward). Country Road has a few good ones to get cracking with. And voila! Modern style a go-go. You are most welcome.

Comments

Popular Posts