As I Get Older, I Have Five Wardrobe Essentials

Robyn Cooke Sipping Tea in My Fave Black Velvet T-shirt from M&S Simon Hartley
Me Sipping Tea in My Fave Black Velvet Tee (that you can't actually see - but this pic is a FAVE)
Photo: Simon Hartley

Let's not mess around here. There are just certain things in my wardrobe that I can't live without. That I haven't been able to live without for at least ten years. And that I always panic that I will lose, damage, wear out before I can find their replacement. It seems that I am in a co-dependent relationship with some of my clothes. And I won't apologise for it.

The Perfect Shoe for Travelling. The Lesser Spotted Nike Roshe One. But Make it Fashion.
The Perfect Shoe for Travelling. The Lesser Spotted Nike Roshe One. But Make it Fashion.

What are they? No one asked that. But I'm going to tell you anyway.
  1. My kimonos. I have five kimonos that get regular airtime. Two are short and black-based for office attire. One is long and flowing for casual weekend dress-up. And two are bold and bedazzled for evening festivities. I find that one can lift a basic little black dress or jumpsuit, cover up the arms with a sleeveless maxi and add a soft layer of warmth against the onslaught of office air conditioners and the evenings of early summer. I mean what a perfect little piece of wardrobe perfection! I have collected mine over the years, and I would strongly advise for you to do the same. Brilliant.
  2. My black jumpsuit. I've spoken about the joy of the black jumpsuit before. And honestly I will again. But really. You can't go wrong with a simple and flattering all-in-one that you can dress up for parties and also wear casually for a weekend brunch. It looks just as good with a heel as with a sneaker, and frankly the only place you can't wear it, is a wedding. Because it's black. But literally wear it to any other occasion. And you don't even need to invest to get a good one. This is the finest example of great return-on-clothing-investment, that you can imagine. Get one! Maybe even two.
  3. My black velvet tee. I know this is a weird one. And you had better believe I will cut anyone who hurts it because I have no idea if I will ever find one like this again. It is perfection in a top. I found it on a sale rack at M&S on an emergency whizz through one rushed morning. It was two sizes too big and not exactly natural fibres. It broke all the rules. And yet, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't haul it out to pair with a simple black pant for an evening event in summer. Or to wear layered over a silk blouse in winter. Or over a thin-knit long-sleeve, with jeans, for a hi-lo look on the weekend. I mean I have worn it so often I am grateful that it is black. And man-made as I can also throw it in the washing machine without concern. The best.
  4. My navy blue chinos. I know this seems unlikely, but a pair of black trousers can come and go - you will always find six other possibilities to replace them. But a perfect navy chino is a miracle. I wear mine at least once a week. Usually on a Friday so I can conjure up my 'Hamptons look' as my colleague Elana calls it. I pair them with a white sneaker, a Breton stripe top maybe or a navy polka dot blouse - finish the look off with a jaunty neckerchief (my fave one is from H&M x Kenzo - thanks Alex) and it just works. It doesn't matter what your personal style is, you can make a navy chino work for you. Also, if any of you find a good one PLEASE let me know. Mine are getting very worn-out. Help!
  5. Black Nike Roshes. I left this till the end because it hurts a lot. You all know how I love my classic sneakers. I wear them all the time. The Stan Smiths. The Superstars. The Vans Old Skool. The Gazelles. Even the Common Projects. But I've never mentioned these old favourites. Mostly because if any exist in the world, I don't want you to be hunting them down in case I need to. First I had the Roshe Runs. OMG - the PERFECT travel sneaker. So good for walking miles every day, and comfortable enough to sleep in on the plane. But I wore them out. By this stage, Nike had stopped providing SA with this line. And so I moved on to the Roshe Ones. Almost as good, and a perfectly satisfying replacement. But I can't find these anymore either and what will I do if I wear the current ones out? Stop travelling? Stop walking? I mean it seems like that's the only reasonable answer. They are the least fashionable item on this list by MILES. And yet, I may even love them the most. Sigh.
Chris Viljoen and Robyn Cooke Fancy Kimono from Kluk CGDT
Terrible Photo, Dreadful Hair, But Lovely Chris Viljoen and my Very Fancy Kimono from Kluk CGDT

As I may have mentioned, no one actually asked me for this list, but I though that it may inspire a new wardrobe essential for you. If you are in need of something to refresh your style, but don't want to waste money on a throw-away piece, then this list is for you. I hope you find what you are looking for. But me first.

Comments

Popular Posts