As I Get Older, My Favourite Clothes Change (The Duster)

Soft Green Duster Coats for the Win - Now and For Years to Come from Zara and Superbalist
Soft Green Duster Coats for the Win - Now and For Years to Come

I will admit that I have more than one favourite item in my wardrobe right now, but if I HAD to pick just one it would be my soft green duster coat. Thanks to my pal Kerry, this slice of fashion joy became mine one day recently at Zara. But you can pick them up online at Superbalist if the Zara ones are no longer in stock locally.

What, you may ask, is a duster coat? And you'd be right to, because they are called all sorts of weird things - like 'waterfall trench' - so let me give you the fashion-technical definition. Like a trench, they are lightweight and long. Unlike a trench, they are soft and have no buttons. There must be drape to a duster, and it is preferable to wear it slightly over-sized so that you can overlap the front when it's a bit cool.

If a soft green khaki duster coat is Good Enough for Chrissy, It's Good Enough for Me
If it's Good Enough for Chrissy, It's Good Enough for Me

Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashain pioneered the modern duster during their pregnancies and Kim continues to regularly wear dusters as she shows off the Yeezy range of her husband Kanye West. But dusters first became a fashion item during the early car-driving days of the 1920s where the ladies of the era would pop a duster coat over their dresses for a drive in the country. And we all know that the fashion hallmark of the twenties was easy, loose and flappy.

I love mine so much because of all these things. And because it is stylish and on trend. Primarily, at my age, because it is flattering and comfortable. And, wait for it, it has pockets! Literally all the things that a modern woman wants in a wardrobe staple. Right?

Kim K Wears Her Duster Coats With Her Yeezy Athleisure Wear - and When She Was Pregnant
Kim K Wears Hers With Her Yeezy Athleisure Wear - and When She Was Preggers

It is also a bloody brilliant transitional piece. Which is not to say I don't layer it really comfortably over knits now, during the winter months. But it is the perfect stylish top, over a summer dress for the cooler spring and autumn months. And so really it is an almost-all-year-long item and great value for money, no matter what you pay for it.

The Zara Duster Coat or Jacket That I Have - Pre-Modification
The Zara Duster That I Have - Mine is a bit Modified Now

I have modified mine a bit from the original - I mean I often do so as to make high street items a bit more personal for me. For the duster, I took off the arm straps and I always roll up the sleeves (two small folds and then a ruche, for those who want answers). And it feels like something that I will continue to wear as it is timeless and easy-fit and no matter how 'youthful' I look, I will always want an extra layer to hide the padding of age.

No, it's not sexy nor is it high fashion. Of course it's not a piece for everyone. But for me, as I get older, the duster coat seems like a safe haven of style and one that will be in my wardrobe for many years to come. 10/10 would recommend.

Comments

Popular Posts