As I Get Older, I Want Breakfast for Every Meal

Breakfast at Jason Bakery Cape Town and Lynwood Cafe Lechlade Breakfast Pizza
When I can't go to Jason Bakery on a Saturday for Breakfast, I go to Lynwood Cafe in Lechlade, UK

Do you remember when you were younger and skipping breakfast was a daily routine. I mean who had time for that when you only had ten minutes to get up, get dressed and get to class? The only problem with that was that you missed out on the best FOOD of the day. Because - and I'll take no arguments on this - breakfast food is the best food. Who doesn't love scrambled eggs on toast on Sunday nights for dinner? Right? You see.

Great Places for Breakfast: Shortmarket Club, Made by Bob in Cheltenham, Mulberry & Prince, Kleinsky's
Other Breakfast Sensations: Shortmarket Club, Made by Bob in Cheltenham, Mulberry & Prince, Kleinsky's

And while I accept that I can't eat actual breakfast food for every meal (I mean I can...), I am happy to riff off breakfast basics to comprise the best food for my life now that I am older. So here are my current favourite foods and why.

Breakfast Food is the Best. Fact.
Breakfast Food. The Best. Fact. 
  1. Breakfast. As I mentioned, anytime of the day or night. And I don’t mean what I actually eat for breakfast five days a week before work. More’s the pity. I try and keep that tidy. I mean the two course breakfasts that I have on a Saturday at Jason Bakery. And sometimes a Sunday. And sometimes for dinner. Or lunch. A meal that involves cooked eggs (any way), potentially some rosti or pancake or croissant or equivalent carb deliciousness. Like a breakfast pizza. And on a good day, a hot chocolate. For the rest of my life I plan on eating as many of these cooked breakfasts as I can muster. Then I can say with real meaning, “She’s had more lovers than I’ve had cooked breakfasts,” or some such. (Go girl!)
  2. Eggs. See above. Scotch eggs. And also deviled eggs. How delish? And any flan or tart or quiche that is made of eggs. Nicoise salad, of course. I have literally no opinion on how I like my eggs, because I like them all of the ways. As a kid, we were taught that eggs were bad for you so you couldn’t have too many. Hahahaha. Now I have them all.
  3. Anything a chef can be arsed to recommend personally. I am not willingly an adventurous eater; I like what I like. Like breakfast eggs. But, I make a complete exception, borne of brilliant experience, to always try what the chef personally recommends. If a restaurateur or chef engages with the table and says, “you really should try…” I ALWAYS try. And I have tasted heaven as a result. Who knew sorrel pudding could be such a revelation?
  4. Tongue. Yup. I know it’s a weird one you weren’t expecting. But cooked in a capers and cream sauce with a few tasty dauphine potatoes, well, all that stubborn resistance as a child comes back to haunt me now. Scrummy. If/when you are in Cape Town, ask Societi Bistro to make it for you. You’re welcome.
  5. Chicken and waffles. Every fibre of my being resisted this one. But millions of Americans can’t be wrong, and so in the spirit of trying anything I’m not allergic to once, I gave it a go at the sensational Mulberry & Prince Sunday brunch-a-palooza. Well. Knock me down with a feather. All that sweet and salty and crispy and what-not was a taste sensation. Bloody delicious. I mean it’s a lot on one plate. I know better than to do it on the regular. But once or twice a year it’s a treat I will not miss. Just to mix it up from the eggs, you know.
  6. Oysters. When I was at the magnificent Oyster Box recently I had fresh oysters for breakfast and it reminded me of The Shortmarket Club brunch they used to do where we chased fresh oysters with the Arnold Bennett and it was sublime. Why isn't that around any more? I mean that was a breakfast of absolute legends.
  7. Pastries. My actual idea of heaven is that I am stuck in a patisserie for all eternity. In a comfy bed with high thread count linen and James Earl Jones reading the classics to me. I digress. I am incredibly basic in this regard. I love a doughnut, a chelsea bun, a slice of pie. Whatever. I love them all and equally and I hope they can be a joyous part of my life forever. And after.

Tongue is Tasty! Society Bistro. Chicken & Waffles from Mulberry & Prince. Tea for Life Fortnum & Mason. The Egg Slut Jason Bakery.
Tongue is Tasty! Chicken & Waffles. Tea for Life. The Egg Slut.
Right, I am so hungry right now; I’m heading to the kitchen to see if I have any eggs in the house. Some scrambles on toast on this Monday evening is just about the most perfect combo a girl could dream up. Washed down with a cup of tea. LIVING!

Comments

Popular Posts