As I Get Older, I Want to Write It Down

Photographer Osborne Macharia's League of Extraordinary Grannies on As I Get Older
Photographer Osborne Macharia's League of Extraordinary Grannies - They Have Stories to Tell!

I used to have a fashion blog – you may even have read it occasionally. I started it in 2008 and StyleGuideCT landed up being one of the most fun things I have ever done in my life. It was a five-year door-opener to people, places and jobs that I never imagined that I would have access to. I had to give it up eventually. I got a big corporate job that really demanded a lot from me and I made the decision to shutter StyleGuideCT until I had more time. Also, at that time in 2014, blogs and blogging had evolved to a place that didn’t sit right .

StyleGuideCt Blog Logo and Brand

But I have really missed it. I can be moved to tears by kind people who tell me, even today, how they used to enjoy reading it as part of their morning routine. Unfortunately, I know that I can’t go back. Life has moved on, you and I have both changed, and there are other things that make for daily diversions, news sources and entertainment that fill that space now.
Robyn Cooke Twitter Queen 2011 Cosmopolitan Magazine
That's me, a blogger and a Cosmo Twitter Queen, circa 2011
Yet, the urge to write it all down has got too loud to ignore. One of the amazing things about StyleGuideCT was that I married my love of fashion and celebrity with my drive to express myself through written word. When I shortlist the things I do for fun these days, writing is right up there on the list. It gives me so much clarity. And I find I have a lot to say. Of course about fashion, style, life, humour and the things that bug me. But mostly what I want to express is how overwhelming it is to be an old person in a young mind. The shock of finding myself about to turn fifty, when I feel twenty eight, is like waking up to find yourself in The Handmaid’s Tale’s Gilead. Except that it is real life. And Gilead may actually still happen.

Robyn Cooke says Equality for All on International Women's Day
I Advocate For Equality for All, But Especially Women.
Photo: Gavin van den Berg Photography

And while I still love to celebrate beautiful people in gorgeous fashion, what I want to talk about the most as a fifty-year-old, is the reality of life. In all its muckiness. And boy is it mucky. Yes, I intend to talk about social politics. I will talk about the things that no one tells you about getting old. I will reminisce about my younger years. And I will tell you funny stories. What a privilege to get to my ripe old age with brilliant stories to tell.

Robyn Cooke Tells Tales on As I Get Older Blog
Robyn Cooke Sips Tea (Gather Round Children, For I Have Tales to Tell...)
Photo: Simon Hartley
It’s the most utterly self-indulgent thing that I have ever embarked upon. And if five of you follow along then I know that my expectations have been exceeded. Because ultimately I am doing this for myself, to make sense of this weird new phase of my life. I blinked and here I landed. Fifty. When I don’t feel old enough to take care of another live thing, I somehow turned into an elder. I don’t know how it happened. Hopefully writing this will help.

Comments

Popular Posts