As I Get Older, I Know What to Wear - Part 1

That's me. Again. When I was StyleGuideCT blogger. Photo is by Andrew Brauteseth aka GuyWithCamera
That's me. Again. When I was StyleGuideCT blogger. Portrait is by the wonderful Guy With Camera.

Some of you may have come to know me as StyleGuideCT, which I was for many years. I studied at London College of Fashion, I worked for years as a stylist and I was a fashion editor before moving into more commercial aspects of fashion and retail. But once a fashion nerd, always a fashion nerd, and expect me to use this new platform accordingly. Let us begin this lesson with one that irks me greatly: Which rules in fashion can and can’t be broken.

Model Fashion is NOT Normal People Fashion. Clearly. Different Rules Apply. Photo: HolyChic.net

Fashion Rules That Can and Can’t Be Broken (when you're not a model)
I want to say none of them are off the table, that’s the joy of fashion. Rules are out and it is entirely about self-expression and seeing what you can make work for you. But that’s actually not technically the right answer. So, I’m going to say this then: break any and every rule in fashion except those that disrespect yourself or others.
  • Wearing a deliberately hateful, discriminatory or rude t-shirt or hat is not funny. It’s an act of terror. I will report you and preferably have you arrested. It’s not freedom of speech, it’s hate speech. Don’t do it.
  • Wear garments next to your heart that are made of natural fabrics. Silk, cotton, linen and wool are deserving of your soft skin and lovely heart. I’m all for wearing a long-lasting acrylic jumper over your silk blouse. I do it all the time. But I make sure the base layer is my natural-fibred friend. A vest or spencer will do.

The Evil Queen Who Wore Black to a Wedding. Photographer: Anthony Friend
The Evil Queen Who Wore Black to a Wedding. Photographer: Anthony Friend
  • Don’t wear white – OR BLACK – if you are a guest at a wedding. Bloody hell guys, this is really not so hard. A black dress is fine for the club, a restaurant or a funeral. Wear ANYTHING else, a bit jazzier to a wedding celebration. And no, you don’t have to go and buy something new. Yes, I know you wore that one floral dress before, but this is not your wedding, nor is it about you. So just wear the pretty floral dress again, and go and have a ball.
  • Respect the dress code. Your host has invited you to attend something that they have carefully planned, invested in and considered you worthy of attending. Whatever your personal views are of the theme or dress code, you turn up following it to the letter, or politely decline the invitation. So easy. You are not more important than the person hosting the event, so be respectful. That means wearing a long dress or tuxedo when it says formal. And no-jeans-but-yes-jacket at a semi-formal event (that’s the same as cocktail). And if, like everyone else, you have no idea what smart-casual means, Google it. Or let me help you: jeans and a jacket, a dress and sneakers, and always a jumpsuit - all perfectly acceptable outfits.
    A Pants Suit is perfect for Chic Low Top and Trousers. Best of the Internet Style.
    Perfect Play of Low Cut Top and Trouser is with A Pants Suit
  • And finally, wear whatever you like, at any age – I will write about this in more detail soon. But, a good rule of thumb is only have legs OR boobs out, not both. I realise that this is not the message our music idols are sending, but until you are a billionaire music artist, it’s best that you make a wiser choice. So low cut top with trousers, or a mini skirt with a blouse that covers up a bit, is the way to go for true, self-respecting, sexy, chic style.

Comments

Popular Posts